Ahhhh…Fish Fridays are almost upon us! Lent begins this week and that means fish for Ash Wednesday and a seafood meal every Friday until Easter. I’m a good wife. I wouldn’t even dream of tempting Joel with a beautifully cooked medium-rare steak on a Friday until the end of the Lenton season.
So you’re wondering how to incorporate a variety of seafood into what we’ve (and many other households) have dubbed “Fish Fridays”, huh? I’ll start with something very simple:
All you need is a beautiful pound of cod, halibut, tilapia, or catfish. We prefer cod or halibut, but any firmly flaky white fleshed fish will do.
I don’t recommend salmon for this. Just putting it out there.
Oh, and the fixings: corn tortillas, cheese, cabbage, limes and…Greek yogurt!
So here’s my secret to keeping this super simple ~ Simply Organic Fish Taco seasoning. I’m using this as the marinade as well as in my Greek yogurt “aioli”.
Yep, I said Greek yogurt and not sour cream.
So, follow the package instructions to make the marinade, but keep out about 1 tablespoon of the seasoning. Mix this into a small container of Greek yogurt and refrigerate until ready to serve. About 20-30 minutes will do.
Grill the marinated fish just until it flakes easily, about 3-4 minutes a side. Any longer and it will dry out and you’ll lose the flavor of the fish. You can grill indoor, outdoor, George Foreman, or straight up in a skillet. Cutting the fish into strips before marinading and cooking will keep your cook time to a minimum as well.
To assemble: heat 2 corn tortillas on a griddle (or in the microwave) until pliable, about 1-2 minutes per side. You can do this in batches and keep in a tortilla warmer until ready to serve.
Top tortillas with grilled fish, shredded colby jack cheese, shredded cabbage and add a dollop of Greek yogurt sauce. Serve with lime wedges.
Oh, and a side of Spanish rice if you have it handy!
Did I mention this is a totally gluten free meal?! Just make sure your corn tortillas and cheese are certified GF. Simply Organic seasonings, Chobani, limes and fresh fish are totally GF. Like, totally.
I can’t wait to come up with some fun and exciting new ways, and maybe some twists on some good old ways, to prepare seafood for y’all this coming season. Check back often!
If you want to share what you gave up for lent this year – leave me a comment! We can chat about it. 🙂
Happy Fish Fridays!
- 1lb fish (cod, halibut or tilapia), washed and cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 pkg Simply Organic Fish Taco seasonings, set aside 1 tablespoon
- 6oz plain Greek yogurt (Chobani is my choice)
- 8 white corn tortillas
- Shredded cabbage, to taste
- Shredded cheese, to taste
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Place the washed and patted dried fish into a ziploc bag.
- Prepare the marinade as directed, adding the vegetable oil to the fish in the bag, and mixing the powdered seasonings with warm water - OMITTING 1 TBSP of the seasoning. Add liquified marinade to the fish bag and refrigerate about 20-30minutes.
- Pour off any liquid from the top of the yogurt. Add the 1 tablespoon of set aside seasonings to the Greek yogurt and mix until thoroughly blended. Refrigerate about 20-30 minutes.
- Cook fish on an indoor or outdoor grill on medium-high for about 3-4 minutes a side.
- Warm tortillas on the grill, a griddle or in the microwave.
- Divide fish into 4 servings
- Divide corn tortillas into 4 servings - 2 per plate
- Top tortillas with cooked fish, shredded cheese and cabbage (to taste) and a dollop of yogurt.
- Serve warm with lime wedges to season