Oh me, oh my. Yes, roasted Brussels Sprouts alone are delicious. Add sliced shallots and shaved goat cheese to them and they will sing in your mouth.
This is a beautiful side dish for Thanksgiving and a cinch to throw together.
I’m not just saying that because of my love affair with Brussels sprouts (even though, given the chance to run away with only one vegetable for the rest of my life, it would be the Brussels sprout); you can prep these a day in advance, then roast the day of.
Even Drew, our 2 year old gobbled up a few of these! They make him do his ‘happy food’ dance.
Go ahead and convert the Brussels sprout naysayers. This recipe will get them on Team Brussels Sprout for sure.
What song will your mouth sing when your taste buds experience this awesome vegetable? Mine rocked a little “Firework” by Katy Perry to encourage these little cuties into the hearts of my guests trying them for the first time:
Cause baby, you’re a firework
Come on, show ’em what you’re worth
Make ’em go, oh, oh, oh
As you shoot across the sky-y-y
Oh, oh, oh, I love being such a food enthusiast, read AKA, food nerdie!
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed & rinsed
- 2 medium shallots, sliced lengthwise
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, plus some for sprinkling
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Fresh grated goat cheese (I prefer Drunken Goat for it's slightly nutty and sweet taste and semi-soft consistency, but any semi-soft nutty cheese will work. Think Parmesan, Holland Gouda, Pecorino, etc)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and trim Brussels sprouts, removing any brown ends and yellowish outer leaves.
- Quarter the larger sprouts and halve the rest. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Slice shallots, lengthwise (similar to slicing an onion), add these to the mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour out onto a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to allow all sides to brown up evenly and the sprouts to get tender.
- Remove from oven and turn out onto serving platter.
- Sprinkle with a little extra salt and grate cheese across the top. Serve warm.