Grilled Chicken Club Sandwiches
A chicken club sandwich alone is perfect for lunch, in my opinion. Add roasted garlic mayo & avocados and we’re taking this to a whole new level, friends. Acceptable to serve as a lunch AND a light dinner now in my book!
A little prep work over the weekend and you’ll be able to throw these together in no time.
I cooked my bacon in advance.
Feel free to stop to admire the beautiful bacon bubbles. I’m in no hurry today.
I bought grocery store-made roasted garlic from the deli (it was on sale!) when I picked up the fresh herbs for my garlic butter recipe last week.
I used what was left of my mayo from the fridge, found this one single lonely lemon and threw some kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper all together in the food processor.
I guess you could call it a roasted garlic aioli. I’m just going to go with roasted garlic herbed mayonnaise.
Next, we’re onto the chicken.
When I was at the grocery store, I remembered a pack of chicken something in the freezer. Not wanting to spend the extra cash if I already had what I needed back home, I opted not to get new chicken.
Well, the only chicken I had was tenders. I was really hoping for chicken breasts or at least breast filets, but these will do.
Wash, pat-dry and throw them in a large zip-top baggie. Add olive oil and gently toss to coat.
Seal and place in a baking dish to marinate.
I marinated the night before just to get it out of the way, but a quick 20-30 minutes marinating works fine too.
When you’re ready to make your sandwiches, throw your chicken on the grill and cook for 3-5 minutes per side, depending on the cut of chicken breast you have.
And now, it’s assembly time! Toast your bread, sourdough preferably, and spread the roasted garlic mayo on one side and arrange the sliced avocados on the other.
A little salt and pepper on the avocados will help bring out the flavor.
Add your grilled chicken to the garlic mayo side.
And start stacking your fixings.
My method is grilled chicken, tomato, lettuce, bacon (because I like the BLT parts together), cheese then top with the avocado side.
Then smush it all together and remind yourself to eat and chew slowly. This club is so flavorful and so delicious; you might find yourself trying to inhale it.
Consider that a warning. Then help yourself to seconds!
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 sprig each: rosemary, thyme, basil (or whatever fresh herbs you have on hand)
- 1-2 tablespoons roasted garlic cloves
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1.5 lbs. chicken breasts filets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Montreal Steak seasoning
- 1½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper (to taste - about ¼ to ½ teaspoon)
- 1 lb. bacon, cooked
- 8-10 slices sourdough bread
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 4-6 leaves romaine lettuce
- 4-6 slices provolone cheese
- Place mayo, roasted garlic, herbs (removed from their stems), lemon juice, salt and pepper in a food processor.
- Pulse for about a minute, or until all ingredients are chopped up and incorporated. Use a rubber spatula to move ingredients back to the center if it's sticking to the walls too much.
- Wash & pat-dry the chicken. Place in a large zip-top bag within a baking dish (to prevent cross-contamination and minimize spills).
- Drizzle olive oil all over chicken to coat and sprinkle with seasonings. Close the bag and move the chicken, seasonings and oil around to coat. Refridgerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Grill the chicken over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes per side, or until cooked through. There should be no pink in the center.
- Toast the sourdough bread in a toaster or under a broiler.
- Spread roasted garlic mayo on one side and arrange sliced avocado on the other. Sprinkle the avocado with a little salt & pepper (to taste).
- Place chicken breasts on top of the roasted garlic mayo, add tomato, lettuce, bacon and cheese.
- Top with the avocado slice.
- Repeat with the remaining slices of bread, chicken and sandwhich fixings.